Sunday, January 9, 2011 | By: Jason

The Giver (Book Review)

Review of The Giver by Lois Lowry

"The worst part of holding the memories is not the pain. It's the loneliness of it. Memories need to be shared."
— Lois Lowry (The Giver) 


Review:

I am surprised that I did not like this book, especially after all the 4 and 5 star reviews. This being the first dystopian type of book read I tried to keep an open mind and see the bigger picture. However, the more I read the more I wanted to put the book down. Do not get me wrong, I understand the point of the book; however, I believe it was poorly written and the plot was just boring. I am sure others feel different. 

The interesting part of The Giver was the way that the people lived. I wont get too deep into that, I'll let you discover that yourself if you decide to read the book. While reading, many questions passed my mind. I expected that at least some of them would be answered by the end of the book. Unfortunately, not many questions were answered and it left me with a feeling that I wasted my time. That is the worst feeling when reading a book. 

Some of biggest problems with this book are that human nature seems to be taken away. We as humans have certain characteristics that make us who we are. Included in these characteristics are thinking, acting, and feeling emotions. These characteristics seem to be taken away from the characters in The Giver. How? That is never made clear. 

Character development:

The characters in this book are somewhat well developed. Each character has a unique style and personality, even in their situation. Some characters seem too robotic and mechanical. However, the author might have purposely created his characters that way to add to the overall story. 

Plot:

The plot tells a good story about a society in a completely controlled state for the so-called better of the overall civilization. However, the book is full with so many holes and questions that the book feels incomplete. 

Setting:

The setting of the book is tolerable, especially for a book like this. Things do not seem to be what they really are, which keeps the reader entertained enough to continue reading to see what is real and what is not. 

Book Flow:

The book is short enough to read in one weekend. It flows pretty well, however the ending seemed to drag, pulling the reader along. 



2 out of 5 Shots
Sorry Giver Lovers But I have to keep it real :)



3 comments:

Stephanie Smith said...

The Giver is one of those books that you'll either hate or love, I think. I read it back in middle school as a required book and I hated it. Years later, I thought "well maybe it was because I was forced to read it" and read it again. Nope, the book is just not very good. There are plenty of better dystopian books. If you're looking for more in the genre, pick up 1984 by George Orwell. Way better. Or Ayn Rand.

Jason said...

Hi Stephanie, Thanks for commenting.

I have 1984 and plan to read it this year. If anything this book has at least make me want to read another dystopia book.

I keep hearing Ayn Rand's name. Any book of his you'd recommend?

Anonymous said...

so this young man is not allowed to heve feelings for a girl in his peer group, he has to take pills to make his feelings go away. But then he is "specially chosen" to have special meetings with an old male in power, and he and a roomful of boys his age strip and the old man puts his hands on their backs and releases into them? sickening. It's like a primer grooming for molestation. How many youths reading this wish that they could be "specially chosen" by an old man? What kind of sick minds dream up this camoflaged crap?

Post a Comment